Pages

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Evangelion

Well here we finally have the remake of Evangelion 1.11: You are not alone. When I first saw this, I thought to myself what was Gainax trying to do with an already well established and well known anime, popular in many anime and any other type of communities that exist. Of course this being Evangelion, one of the first anime I ever watched (Bubble Gum Crisis was the other, also great) I knew I was going to get this and watch it no matter what. At first I thought it was something similar to the original Gundam series, i.e. the Gundam RX73, Charr and what not where it was remade into three movies which basically was a compilation of all the episodes (being a usual Gundam series, I can only assume 52 episodes or more). Now with Evangelion 1.11, the same approach was done as these movies are compilations of the series put together into a seamless fashion. I knew this was the plan with the movie, but knowing Gainax, they did more. Not only did they piece together the episodes, brand new scenes and plot was created. I don't want to spoil anything, but I can tell you that it's done very well. It's almost like I'm watching Evangelion as a new anime once again.

Now with that out of the way, let's talk about the quality of the movie. All I can say is that this is a must get. It is the best thing I've ever seen. The colors are so crisp with a much varied palette compared to the original 95 series. The sound is just great and the music. Oh the music is great, especially Utada Hikaru's ending theme, "Beautiful World."

For the next part, we have 2.11 which has been in the movie theaters in Japan but has yet to make it to dvd state side. We already know a new character is introduced and how she plays into the plot is something I'd like to see. Here's to hoping we'll all get 2.11 soon enough. For now, sit back, crank the volume up, and enjoy 1.11.

No comments:

Post a Comment